Tuesday, October 25, 2011

La Madeline’s Tomato Basil soup



4 cups (8 to10) can tomatoes in juice
2 cups of tomato juice
2 cups of chicken broth
12 to 14 washed fresh basil leaves (or that tube I showed you which you get by the fresh basil)
1 cup of heavy cream  (or I use half and half instead)
1/4 lb unsalted butter
Salt to taste
¼ t cracked black pepper

Combine tomatoes, juice & stock in saucepan; and simmer for 30 minutes.

Puree, along with the basil leaves in small batches in blender, food processor (or better yet, one of those handy hand held
Blenders right in the cooking pan (that is what I do)).

Return to saucepan & add cream & butter, while stirring over low heat.

If you see little what spots from the cream just use your hand held blenders to blend and it one more time it will incorporate it nicely... (or your blender)!

Garnish with basil leaves and serve with favorite bread or Seasoned Crackers which I will include in the next post!



Several years ago I changed to half and half.. I think I like it better and it cuts out alot of fat!  win win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home