Monday, January 30, 2012

Cheese and Onion Enchiladas with Texas-Mex Chili Gravy

I posted this recipe awhile back but I didn't have any pics!  I made these last week and again after taking a bite I thought I need to repost with pictures to show the goodness!

 I had been looking for this recipe for years!  It's just your basic cheese enchilada with basically chili con carne sauce!  It has no meat but if you wanted to you could add some cooked ground beef or shredded chicken when you roll up the tortilla with cheese and onion...   I like it just the way it is though because I love Cheese Enchilada's!

It's pretty fast and easy to make too!  You just roll up your tortillas then top with the chili gravy then just top with cheese!  Cooks in oven in just 20 minutes!  Comes out piping hot!

There is a great whole in the wall restaurant in Oak Cliff called Herrera's over off Illinois Ave.  I have gone there for years and I only get the cheese enchiladas!  They come to you piping hot so hot you have to wait a minute to eat them if you don't you are in that awkard moment of wondering if you can spit them out cause it's burning your mouth!!   This recipe reminds me so much of Herrera's enchiladas! 





Freshly grated cheese makes all the difference!

Cut up onions


Saute onions in a skillet with either oil or butter

Place 3 or 4 tortillas in microwave wrapped in a kitchen towel or like the recipe says warm in a skillet with oil.. The reason for this is the tortilla is not pliable and will sometimes crack when you are trying to roll up..... the heat makes it pliable.  Add onions and cheese to center and roll up and place in pan.


You can stretch the chile gravy and do 12 or keep with the 8 as it says


Heat oil on medium heat then stir in flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 mins or until light brown roux


I like to add all the spices in a bowl because then you can just throw it all in at once!


with a whisk combine seasoning with flour and oil mixture

Sad day :) the Williams bottle is empty....good thing I have 1 more left!  Sam's Club carried this last year for a few months and I happend to buy 2 because I love it sooooo much!  My mom has used Williams Chili Seasoning for years...now I do!  You can find Williams at the grocery store where they have those seasoning packets... its in a silver pkg with a logo like above.

I'm pretty much always going to add a sprinkle or two of these even if it doesn't call for it!  Lawry's Garlic salt with the green lid!


Now don't those look delicious!












                                                                              





Makes 8 enchiladas - I usually double this recipe


Ingredients

The Chili Gravy; yields 2 cups
1/4 cup veg oil
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 cups chicken broth

Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
Stir in flour and continue stirring for 3-4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.

Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients.

Add chicken broth, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens.

Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. May add water or chicken broth to adjust thickness, if necessary.

For the enchiladas

8 white corn tortillas
3 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese (reserve 1/2 cup or so to top enchilada)
1 medium onion  (I saute' it before putting in tortilla)




Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Pour 1 to 2 tbsp of oil into a small or medium skillet and heat tortillas. one at a time, on each side. Layer on plate and blot with paper towel.  Or you can heat tortillas in microwave for about 15 to 30 sec instead.

Pour half of the chili gravy to the bottom of a 7X9 baking pan.  (or I just pour it over the top)
Put a 1/4 cup cheese and 1 Tlb onion in the center of each tortilla, roll up, and place seam down, in baking dish.
Pour remaining chili gravy over rolled tortillas, top with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Serve Hot!

3 comments:

  1. I assume when the recipe calls for chili powder, it is referring to the Williams chili mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I use the Williams packet like I would chili powder. At one time Sam's carried it in a large container but sadly that was only for 1 season.

      I like the flavor and often have a hard time finding good basic chili powder.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Newer Post Older Post Home