Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork


So I am not a huge pork person but I do like some pork!  I think I can blame my Mom!  When we were growing up we never had hot dogs (maybe once a year) or bologna sandwiches like ALL our friends!  My mom had read something on pigs that disturbed her.  I'm sure it was that all the extra parts of the pigs  went into both meats!    It's probably was pretty much like seeing that video that is on youtube about McDonalds chicken Mc Nuggets!   That little video clip makes me want to go into a Mc Donalds and snatch nuggets out of every childs hands and buy them something else!  Ewww if you haven't seen it you may not want to because I keep seeing it over and over again in my head!  I am just so glad I don't like those nuggets!  Let me just say once they process everything for the nuggest it comes out pink in a tube!  Basically they just strip the chicken down of it's feather and use EVERYTHING including the eye balls!  Sorry, I didn't want to be the only one with that imagine in my head!  They also use 50 % fillers so it's half chicken and half who knows what!

Anyway I can remember when my mom started buying bacon and sausage (seriously I can)!  She also started buying pork chops since it is the other white meat, right (their commercials did some good)!
I will say when all beef hot dogs came out she would start buying those some and my dad would cook them on the grill but that was later in life maybe when I was a teenager!

I really guess I should thank my Mom because when my freinds were having hot dogs for dinner we were having roast or fried chicken.  I think she spoiled us!

I've tried to eat Pork tenderloin but just can't!  So many people love it and I wanted to love it but it just hasn't happened so far.. I also have had pulled pork and could totally tell it wasn't beef and just couldn't finish it.

I am honestly going to say I couldn't tell if this was beef or pork!  I usually can but the flavor seems to take over!  It's VERY tender and really just falls apart easily with two forks.  I left the brown sugar out by mistake!  It would have given it a caramilized color to it and added some sweetness!  Next time I will add the brown sugar to give it a try!

My friend Paula saw this recipe on The Pioneer Woman's website so that is where this recipe comes from!






Cut onion into wedges



I had just cooked some chicken in this pan and had just taken it out when I thought I had to waste that chicken broth!  So I just left it in there!  You don't need to do that it was just there!  Place pork butt over onions and seasoning with salt and pepper.



Oh, Dr Pepper!  Can't go wrong with using this stuff!  It's actually my favorite drink on the planet!



Add Chipotle's then pour Dr Pepper on top!  I left out brown sugar...didn't mean to!  I just plum forgot!



Pork was cooked and tender after about 5 hours so went ahead and took it out.  If I had remembered the brown sugar it would have more of a caramelized look to it.  Next time for sure!


Take two forks and start shredding!



Seriously this was VERY tender!




One day I had this on a tortilla that I warmed in a skillet with a little butter then the next day for lunch I had it on a bun that I also toasted with a little butter... It was great on both!



1 whole Large Onion
  • 1 whole Pork Shoulder ("pork Butt") - 5 To 7 Pounds
  • Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1 can (11 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
  • 2 cans Dr. Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
·        Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

·        Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of a large dutch oven.
·        Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.
·        Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce.) Pour in both cans of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar to the juice and stir in.
·        Place lid tightly on pot, then set pot in the oven. Cook for at least six hours, turning roast two or three times during the cooking process. Check meat after six hours; it should be absolutely falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it’s not falling apart, return to the oven for another hour.
·        Remove meat from pot and place on a cutting board or other work surface. Use two forks to shred meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve. (You can also refrigerate the meat and liquid separately, then remove hardened fat once it’s cold. Then heat up the liquid on the stove top and return the meat to the liquid to warm up.
·        Serve on warm flour tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheese, avocado slices, salsa, and whatever else you’d like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home