Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grilled onion, Mushroom and Provolone Cheese Patti Melt

I honestly love a good hamburger!  I think I get it from my Dad!  Forever I would always save half my hamburger for him because I knew he loved them so!  I think the best hamburger I have ever had is from Houston's Restaurant!  Oh my, they use the best meat, it almost melts in your mouth! They ground it daily fresh in the restaurant.

My friend Paula and I each got a hamburger several months ago at Houston's and when it came out I thought there is no way I can eat all that.  Guess what we both ate every bite savoring it to the end!  I was actually in shock that I ate all of it.....like every crumb was gone!  What made that hamburger even more special was we had gone to Sam's Club before and as we were walking in I found 2 $20 bills laying in the parking lot!   I was like I guess I need to turn them in in case someone lost em and she was like no way they are probably long gone!  I had told Paula about the hamburger before that hinting that would be a great place to eat.   So I said well here's dinner!

Probably the 3 things I go through the most at my house is butter, Lawry's garlic salt with the green lid and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce.  Seems like every time I turn around I'm out!  I buy the garlic salt at Sam's in the big container and I buy the 2 pack bottles of the worcestershire sauce at Sam's too and still run out!  I pick up a pound of unsalted butter almost every time I go to the store (which is several times a week) along with a can of some kind of tomatoes.  I try to keep my pantry stocked! 

I love a good patti  melt it always reminds me of eating at a diner.  Pepperidge Farm's has a great sour dough bread that works great for a patti melt. 

I even took my neighbor Shortie a patti melt today even though he says he is a "vegetarian"!  I take his sister who lives down the street food 2 or 3 times a week but because it has meat in it usually I just take him sweets and breads.  I came out of my house with Rita's patti melt and dessert along with the dessert I was taking Shortie.  It was a good dessert too.... chocolate cake layered in a clear plastic cup with homemade chocolate pudding and homemade whip cream (I mention homemade cause I would never use a pudding mix or cool whip..it's against my religion, lol, really )!   As I am headed to my car  Shortie is out killing some weeds in his yard and he yell's out don't drop that!  So I laugh and walk over and gave him the dessert and said would you eat a patti melt remembering once he took me to get a taco which had meat in it (caught him).  He said sure he guessed so,  I asked him what time he normally ate dinner to which he replied 4:00 (it was 3:30) so I said I'll have it here by 4:30!  I also took him some of the oven baked fries I have posted on here because that is something he loves...fried potatoes! 



 


Shape meat into 4 inch patties and place in skillet



Slice mushrooms (make sure to cut of the very ends of the stem)


Slice onion thin


Saute mushrooms and onions

remove patties from the skillet


butter both sides of the bread and place butter face down in the pan

Sliced Provolone


 
build your patti melt starting with meat, cheese, onions the mushrooms then cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side until the cheese is melted and the bread is browned.

Now doesn't that look good!





Grilled Onion, Mushroom and Provolone Patti Melts

1 lb ground beef sirloin

Worcestershire sauce to taste
 1 thinly cut yellow onion
Salt & pepper to taste
1 -8 oz carton of sliced mushrooms
8 slices of  a good heavy bread like sour dough
Butter about 4 Tbls
Olive Oil or Vegetable oil

Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat.  Shape meat into 4 – 4 inch patties and place into skillet adding worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to them and cook about 4 minutes on each side or until done.
Heat oil in skillet on medium to high heat.  Add onion, salt, pepper and mushrooms; saute until done (don't let the onions and mushrooms get overcooked)   Remove from heat and keep warm.
When patties are done , remove from large skillet.  Wipe clean and place skillet back on burner turning it on medium to high heat.  Spread butter on one side of bread placing it in skillet butter side down.  Top each with 1 patty, 1 slice of cheese, and a fourth of the mushroom and onion mixture.  Top with remaining buttered slices of bread.  Cook about 3 to 5 minutes on each side until cheese melts and bread is browned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home