Sunday, March 4, 2012

Banana Pudding

I don't know too many who don't like Banana Pudding especially here in the South!   I have made this recipe for years it's just your basic banana pudding but it's still my favorite!    It's simple yet delicious!


Alot of times I use whipping cream but lately I have really been digging this new meringue recipe my sister Tammy gave me.  It's really good and honestly alittle bit creamy so it works well on this.  I doubled this recipe so that is why I am using a 9X13 pan below.  I always seem to be doubling stuff! 

Best to let this set a bit to let the nilla wafers soften before you eat it but if you like it hot it's great that way too!  If you like it cold put it in the fridge for about 3 hours to 4 hrs.

I started making this and thought...I could have taken pics for the blog!  I get in a hurry sometimes trying to get stuff out of the way that I have to cook or bake!  I just have the end results but this is pretty easy to make without step by step pics!

I use this recipe for the pudding when I am making vanilla pudding....just fyi




I doubled the recipe so I used a 9X13


Banana Pudding!


It's such a great Southern dessert!




 Banana Pudding

3 ½ Tbsp four
1 1/3 cups sugar
Dash of salt
3 large eggs, separated
3 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 (12-ounce) vanilla wafers
6 medium bananas
6 T sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Combine first 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan.  Beat egg yolks; combine egg yolks
And milk, stirring well.  Stir into dry ingredients; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.  Remove from heat; stir in 1 tsp vanilla.

Layer one-third of wafers in a 3-quart baking dish.  Slice 2 bananas, and layer over
Wafers.  Pour one-third of custard over bananas.  Repeat layers twice.

Top with Whipping Cream or Meringue

No fail Meringue  (I have a step by step with pics of this under my Mom's Chocolate Pie recipe)

6 Tbsp sugar
3 egg whites
5 Tbsp of sugar, 1/2 cup cold water.
1Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Beat egg whites until stiff adding 5 tablespoons of sugar 1 @ a time.   While beating egg whites, in a small saucepan, add 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water. and heat until thickened (will look like syrup) and remove from heat. Ad the cornstarch mixture (it will be hot) to meringue and continue beating until mixed good.  Add dash of salt and 1 tsp vanilla and mix 2 to 3 minutes.  Spread onto pudding.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes until brown..



Whipping Cream
1 cup heavy cream (chilled)
2 Tbsp powder sugar or granulated sugar (add more if needed)
1 tsp vanilla

In a deep mixing bowl, beat one cup heavy cream until soft
peaks form. Sprinkle sugar over cream; beat until soft peaks
return.  Do not over beat.

Makes about 2 cups

Spread whipping cream over cooled pudding and enjoy!  Serves about 8



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home