Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mom's Chocolate Sheet (Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake)


This is another one of my childhood favorites!  I call it Mom's Chocolate Sheet Cake but around here in Texas it can be known as Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake! 

I bet I have made this cake over 250 times, really!  I don't even use a mixer for this cake I just stir it all by hand!  It's never failed me yet!  It's such a moist cake by itself then you make this fudge like icing and pour it over while it's still hot/warm!  Get some Blue Bell-homemade vanilla ice cream and there is just not much that can top this delicious goodness (well you could top it with some velvet fudge sauce-recipe is on the blog:)

There are several variations to this; fudge icing, Mattie's icing and Mississippi Mud Cake.  All are listed below in the recipe.  Mattie's icing was my grandmother Queenie's (yes, she thought she was a Queen:) fav!  Mattie was a friend of hers and our whole family. Queenie and Mattie were two peas in a pod!  Both short, petite and the best of friends!  I have sooooo many good memories of my Grandmother but my most favorite is I would listen to her play the piano for HOURS!  I loved that more than watching tv or playing outside when I was at her house!  For Mattie's icing you basically just boil sugar, evaporated Milk and butter in a pan and you get this almost caramel taste.  I say almost because it's really not caramel but I'm not sure how to describe it.  When you pour it on the cake it like sinks in giving you this super moist cake with a touch of icing on top!  Mississippi Mud; I just top the cake when it come out of the oven with small marshmallows and then pecans (optional) then top the fudge icing over that! 

This cake takes just 20 minutes to make and is oh so good out of the oven but taste great at room temp too!

I know a few people who make this in a cookie sheet.  You can but using a 9X13 really makes a nice slice of cake!  The cookie sheet version does more of a bar/brownie size.   


This is what you will need minus the salt... I just got the salt out by habit ;)


Sift flour, sugar and baking soda

Combine water, butter and cocoa

Bring to boil

Pour over dry ingredients and stir till combined then add buttermilk, eggs and vanilla


Once combined pour into greased and floured 9X13 pan


Place in a 400 degree oven


For Icing; in a pan add butter, milk and cocoa, cook until thickens then add powder sugar, stir, powder sugar begins to melt, add vanilla. I usually start the icing when cake has been in the oven for 10 minutes or so...just fyi


Once you add the powder sugar it just turns into this glossy beautiful fudgy icing


 I let the cake cool maybe 2 to 3 minutes then I pour the icing on top


Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake right out of the oven!!




                              Mom’s Chocolate Cake
                                  (Texas sheet cake)

2 cups of flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 stick of butter
3 T cocoa
1 cup water
½ cup of Crisco
2 eggs
½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Grease and flour pan set aside

Step 1
Sift together flour, sugar and baking soda place in large bowl.

Step 2
Bring to boil
Butter, cocoa, water and Crisco

Pour over flour mixture and stir

Step 3
Add buttermilk, eggs and vanilla stirring until well blended.

Pour into greased and floured pan bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees


Fudge Icing

1 stick of butter
3 T cocoa
1/3 cup of milk
1 box of powder sugar  (16 oz)
1 cup of chopped pecans (optional)
1 tsp vanilla

In a pan add butter, cocoa and milk until thickens like pudding then add
Powder sugar a little at a time stirring well.  Add vanilla

Pour over hot cake and enjoy
Alternates for cake

Make a rocky road cake

Right when cake comes out of oven pour mini marshmallows on top of cake and some pecans then add icing.


Mattie’s Icing

2 cups of sugar
1 small can of pet or carnation milk
1 stick of butter

In a sauce pan add sugar then pour pet milk and cook until it starts to boil put
In butter let boil to soft boil take off burner and beat in vanilla and a dash of salt.

Pour over hot cake…



































No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home