Friday, March 23, 2012

Potato Salad


I love a good potato salad!  I will pass up the store bought stuff faster than anything at a pot luck and go straight to the homemade one and if there isn't a homemade one I'll skip it!  When my niece Kirsten graduated from High School they had brisket, potato salad, beans and etc.  Oh the potato salad was delicious!  They added green olives to it, I thought at first green olives!  The olive brings that salty bite it needs and pairs nicely, really if you like green olives you should try it! 

I didn't put the green olives in the recipe below because it was for some lunches I was doing but when I dished out my protion I added  them to it!  I really like to use Hellman's Mayonnaise it gives a buttery taste to everything.  I use it so much for catering I buy the big container at Sam's (like it's huge).  If you like ranch dressing you need to start making your own, really!  I have the recipe on here under Salad Dressings, check out all the dressing cause they are super quick to make and really good!!!  When I cater there are a few things I make often one is Ranch Dressing and the other is Green Beans which I plan to post tomorrow!  I always always have people come find me and say how did you make that dressing or oh my those green beans, did you cook them for hours, nope!  Check out my post tomorrow!



Chop potatoes in a med size piece...if you get it to small they just nearly disintegrate-get mushy.
Then place in a pan and cover with water.  Boil on med to high heat until they are soft when poking htem with a knife..about 20 to 30 minutes.


Place eggs in a pan and cover with water (very important to keep eggs covered with water).
Once the water starts to boil turn your timer on for 12 minutes.  Then pour out hot water and cover with cold tap water, let set for 5 to 10 minutes and the shell will come right off!  I only used 2 eggs in the potato salad but since I was boiling them I made a few extra.


Drain potatoes well then pour into a bowl season with black pepper, lawry's garlic salt (green lid) and salt add chopped pickles and eggs then combine together with mayo.  You can add a Tbsp of mustard if you like mustard in your potato salad.



So good!



Potato Salad

6 to 8 peeled and chopped potatoes
2 boiled eggs, chopped
¼ cup pickles chopped
1 tbsp mustard (optional)
½ cup to a cup mayonnaise
Salt & pepper to taste
Lawry’s garlic salt (green lid) to taste

Directions
1.    Bring large pot water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender about 20 to 30 minutes.
2.    Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water; peel and chop.
3.    In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, pickles, mustard, mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Gently mix together and serve warm.
You can add chopped green olives, celery or whatever you would like!  My Grandmother Queenie used to put chow chow in it (pickle relish), lol!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home