Monday, June 25, 2012

Fried Pies

Got to love a good ole fried pie!!  There is a Amish family who sells fried pies in Canton, Tx and oh they are good!  I was determined to find that recipe!  I have used several different recipes and they were good but not what I was looking for until I found this recipe about 5 years ago!  The dough is sooooo good!  It's that almost savory dough I guess you would say.  I was so excited the first time I made this recipe because I felt like I finally found "the recipe" for fried pies!!

You can made these up fry the ones you want to eat and then freeze the rest for later!  This recipe makes 13 fried pies! 

I used to buy dried fruit and put them in hot water like the recipe says but then one time when I was making them I decided to use fruit preserves (Jam) which is basically the same thing!  You get all the fruit pieces you would in the dry fruit and it's actually cheaper!  You can use pie filling but because its more liquid it can seep out.  If you use pie filling try to use more of the fruit and a little of the jell (the liquid part-can't thing of what to call that) so it doesn't leak out.

This dough also makes very good savory pies!  Once I put some hamburger meat that I seasoned like I would for tacos then I added some cheese on top of the meat and fried them... Really good!  I made them smaller then these pies below.






With two knives or a pastry cutter, cut the shortening into the flour


You will have bits of shortening throughout the flour


Pour in evaporated milk and egg (add egg to milk )


Stir together- add a tablespoon of water at a time until it forms a dough if needed


You will form balls about this size for each pie


I just pressed this one out by hand into a circle

I added 1 1/2 Tablespoons of preserves then folded over sealing it by pressing ends with a fork


This one I rolled out with a rolling pin


Then I put that circle in a pie maker I have (you can get them at Ross for like $4.99 comes with 3 sizes)


I added the preserves then folded it over and here it is!


The top on I did by hand the bottom with the pie maker.... I used the large pie maker but comes with two smaller sizes too.


Using the large pie maker I was able to make 13 pies


Golden brown and delicious!


Oh so good!  Blackberry, Peach and Apricot!


FRIED PIE’S


This pie dough is excellent for making fried pie crusts (like hot apple pies and turnovers), because it absorbs very little grease. If small turnovers or turnovers with pre-cooked filling are being made, they may be fried at a slightly higher temperature (375°F) but reduce heat if they brown too quickly. If uncooked filling is used or larger turnovers are being made, lower temperature to 360°F.

□   1 can (13 oz.) evaporated milk□   1 egg, beaten□   5 cups all-purpose flour□   1 tablespoon salt□   1 tablespoon sugar□   1 cup plus 1 teaspoon shortening
Combine milk and egg, and set aside.
Whisk together flour, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening or you can use two knives. Toss lightly with egg and milk mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add water a tablespoon at a time until it forms a ball.
Roll golf size dough balls out of dough then roll out in thin rounds.
Fill half of the circle with desired filling. Fold half of circle over filling to make half moons or turnover shapes. Use a fork to seal edges.
Deep fry in hot shortening, approximately 365°F.
Serve immediately or wrap tightly and freeze when cool. Uncooked pie dough may also be frozen before use. Apple turnovers drizzled with confectioners icing or sugar.  Savory meat turnovers filled with a spicy meat filling make wonderful lunch box or picnic treats. To make Jamaican patties, add 1/2 teaspoon annato seed or Jamaican curry powder for the characteristic yellow of this street food classic.
Fruit:
Fruit Preserves such as Peach, blackberry, apricot...use 1 Tbsp to 1 1/2 Tbsp per pie
Canned apple pie apples...add 1/4 cup sugar & cinnamon
Canned pie cherries - add 1/4 cup sugar
For Dried fruit:
Although the basic recipe is listed, please note that for each cup of dried fruit, you need at least a half-cup and probably more of water, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. If you make a dozen pies, you may want to mix up the flavors. Using the proportions in this recipe, for example, I made six Apricot and six Apple/Cherry by using approximately 1-1/2 cups of dried apricots and 1 cup of apples and 1/3 cup of dried cherries. Of course, I cooked the apricots separate from the apples and cherries.
  • 3 cups dried fruit (apricots, peaches, apples)
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 6 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
On very low heat, simmer the dried fruit in the water for 30 to 45 minutes, or until very tender. Add water if necessary to prevent scorching. Allow to cool; mash fruit slightly. Stir in the sugar and spices. This step may be done in advance and refrigerated; however, warm up the fruit (microwave is fine) enough to take the chill off and make it workable before filling your pies.

Note:  I found if using dried fruit you might want to you a food processor or chopper to slightly puree the fruit after they have cooked….especially for apricots. 



1 comment:

  1. Sounds just like my grandma's old recipe that i list .soooo happy to get thus

    ReplyDelete

Newer Post Older Post Home