Friday, August 10, 2012

Sesame Chicken


I like Sesame Chicken and it's one of the 5 things I order when I am at a Chinese restaurant.  I was searching for something new for my cooking class and came upon this recipe.  I looked at a few sesame chicken recipes and compared them and thought this one looked like a winner!

It's easy to make but does have a few steps to it so seems hard but once you get into it, it's not so hard.

I did tweaked it some....The sauce seems a little sweet so I added more chili sauce and soy sauce.  I adjusted it to the recipe below.  I might even next time use 3/4 cups of sugar just to see although once I tweaked it the sweetness was fine.  I did however have about 1/2 cup sauce left that I didn't use.  Maybe I didnt' have as much chicken?

This really was good and I will for sure be making it again! 

This is what you will need for the marinade


Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes or strips


Combine first 9 ingredients



Let marinade for about 30 minutes


This is what you will need for the sauce


This is the chili sauce I used which can be found in the Asian aisle


Add all ingredients for sauce then bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Turn heat to low while you cook chicken.  This will become thick, I just didnt' get a pic of the end result but you will see right after it boils it starts to thicken.


Toast your sesame seeds whenever you want to... I did mine while I did the sauce.  I just turned the oven to 350 and had them in there for about 5 minutes.


Heat oil then place a few pieces of chicken in at at time cooking on both sides until browned


Place on a paper towel...I should have doubled the paper towels but it was to late!
Place chicken on a platter or in a bowl and pour sauce onto chicken then sprinkle with sesame seeds.


This is really good!!!!  The chicken is so tender from being in that marinade!







Sesame Chicken


3  skinless chicken breast
Marinade
2  Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp  cooking wine or white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
¼  tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp vegetable oil
Sauce
½ cup water
½ cup chicken broth
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 or 3 tsp chili paste or chili garlic sauce
1 garlic clove, minced

Frying
Vegetable oil or peanut oil (enough to cover bottom of skillet ½ inch)
2 Tbsp Sesame seeds
 Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes
Marinade
Mix the marinade ingredients (first 9 ingredients)
Marinate the chicken for 20 to 30 minutes
Sauce
In a skillet add the next 9 ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Turn the heat down and keep on low while you are cooking the chicken.
Frying
Heat the skillet with oil then add the marinated pieces one at a few at a time and fry until golden brown.
Drain on a paper towels (you can place plate in warm oven if you would like while finishing the rest of chicken).
Turn the heat back up on the sauce until it come back to a boil.
Place the chicken on a large platter and pour sauce over it then toss sesame seeds on top. 
Serve with rice





No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home