Monday, October 29, 2012

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

I got this recipe about 8 years ago at the Texas State Fair.  Southern Living had a cooking show in the auditorium of The Hall of State building.  I was super excited because I love Southern living magazines and cookbooks....oh and website! 

This recipe has great flavor to it and is pretty easy to make.   You use a box of Zatarian's Jambalaya rice then I also add two bags of the plain rice that I cook then put in with the pot with
everything else. Even if the Zatarian's isn't done I still put the cooked rice in because it just gets so tender. 

If it seems to need more liquid add more chicken broth or water.  You want it to have enough liquid to cook the Zatarian's rice and in the end it will absorb all the liquid.  I think in the end I might use more than a can of chicken broth... just fyi

Goes well with cornbread!  You have to try this cornbread recipe I have on the blog!  You use bisquick, cornmeal, sugar, milk, eggs one of the best cornbread I have ever made!!  It also taste good the next day, for real!

Saute onion, green pepper (oops, I forgot green pepper) then add summer sausage


Cut chicken, I used 2 1/2 chicken breasts that I had baked the day before


Add Rotel


This little box really has some good flavor in it!


You can make your rice the regular way but I find this so easy to just boil the bag!  Now when I make spanish rice or etc I do it the regular way.


Boil your rice as directed on box or make your own rice


Once you add the rotel and chicken broth add the Zatarian's and stir


Add chicken and cover.  Add the other rice once it's done and let it simmer along with everything else



Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya


Look at all that flavor!





Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya


1 rotisserie whole chicken
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices or I prefer bite size
1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove minced
2 (10-ounce) cans ROTEL Milder Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 box of Zatarain’s New Orleans Style Jambalaya mix
2 bags of cooked rice (equals 1 cup each when cooked)

Remove chicken from bones; cut chicken into bite-size pieces, and set aside.
Sauté bell pepper, onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes in a dutch oven over medium heat, then add sausage, stirring occasionally , another 5 minutes

 
Stir in Rotel, broth, 1 cup water, garlic powder, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken, box of Zatarian’s uncooked rice along with the 2 bags of cooked rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until rice is tender.

Yield:  Makes 6 servings


If you don’t have Zatarain’s you may use 3 cups of uncooked rice and 1 tsp of Cajun seasoning to the boiling liquid then cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.

*I always use bag rice but if you don’t have any you may just add 1 cup (equals 2 cups when cooked) of uncooked rice along with the Zatarian’s.  I just think the cooked rice get’s tenderer and adds texture…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home