Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Texas Brisket

I love brisket and in the years past they always ran them on sale around Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day for like .99 lb but for the last 3 years I couldn't find them on sale until this year!  On Memorial Day they were $1.49 lb and then for July 4th again they are on sale for $1.49 lb!  I have bought several briskets in the last week, 10 to be exact!  These have been for things I am catering this last week and for a dinner we are doing at the Ronald McDonald House on Sunday, what a savings from the typical $2.99 lb!

I decided to look online for a recipe even though I had one I usually use.  I came across one of Paula Deen's called Texas Brisket!  I have now made 9 like this so far and each one has come out perfect and tender, I have 1 more to go!

You basically add a rub that you make and bake it uncovered for 1 hour at 350 degrees uncovered then cover it and turn the temperature down to 300 and cook it for 3 hours.  Comes out very tender!

Two of them I cooked at 225 degrees for 6 to 7 hours (covered it the whole time) over night because I needed to for time.  It turned out just the same, very tender and the flavor is great! 

Instead of adding a cup of beef broth I used 1 knors beef bouillon cube and water then I used the juice from the one before to make the next one, like I just added the brisket to the previous pan with juice in .

You do really need trim off the fat and there is usually a lot of it!  If you are smoking a brisket it just seems to melt into the brisket but baking it does a little but you to need to trim it or you end up with a lot of fat.  I think I cut off about 3 to 4 lbs of fat per brisket.  I do leave a little bit of fat but not much.

 
 
Here is seasoning which is very easy and fast to put together the recipe is below
 
 
 
Now to trim the fat :/
 
I like to cut a section like this then follow it down so I don't have to cut so much. 
 
That is a lot of fat!
 
add rub to the brisket, I did both sides most of the time but a couple of times I did just one side. Place in oven uncovered  at 350 degrees for 1 hour then turn oven down to 300 degrees and cover it.
 
So tender and has a great flavor without overpowering it!
 
This is one brisket shredded then chopped!
 
 
 

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 bay leaf, crushed (I didn't use the bay leaf)
  • 4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
  • 1 1/2 cups beef stock

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Make a dry rub by combining chili powder, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, sugar, dry mustard, and bay leaf. Season the raw brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.

Add beef stock and enough water to yield about 1/2 inch of liquid in the roasting pan. Lower oven to 300 degrees F, cover pan tightly and continue cooking for 3 hours, or until fork-tender.

Trim the fat and slice meat thinly across the grain. Top with juice from the pan.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Newer Post Older Post Home