Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Roast Chicken in an Hour!

I was watching a show on one of the food stations and they showed a chef who worked at a Hotel making a whole chicken in the oven at 450 degrees!  I thought what?  I cook chicken and beef on low temperatures for hours to insure tenderness and he just cooked this for an hour?  It was one of their #1 items on the menu.

I thought about that recipe for a few days then decided to go and buy a whole chicken.  I didn't look up any recipe I just did what he and that was basically put a chicken in the oven at 450 degrees for an hour!  Now I did wash my chicken take out the stuff in the middle, pat it dry then rubbed it with butter and seasoned it with salt and pepper.  I think he might have added some herbs and etc to the middle but I wanted a plain ole chicken.

He cooked it in a skillet (that can go in oven) so I put mine in a iron skillet then put it in my oven that was preheated to 450 degrees.  Like he did I basted it every 15 minutes.  It seemed to go by fast maybe because every 15 minutes I was basting it.

Because you baste it when you pull it out of the oven it has this beautiful brown color!  I set it out to let it rest for 10 minutes then cut in to it.  Tender juicy and done! 

What a great way to cook a whole chicken fast and it stay juicy and tender!

place your chicken in your skillet then rub with butter, you can dot it with butter also like I did then season it with salt and pepper.
 
this is either after 15 or 30 minutes when I took it out to baste it
 
after an hour in the oven...it's done!
 
This one I made on Monday in my cooking class..... it was really beautiful!
 
 
 
1 whole chicken, washed cleaned (all the insides stuff taken out) and patted dry
3 Tbsp butter soften
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

In a oven ready skillet place your chicken inside then rub with butter then season with salt and pepper.  You can also add a few dots of butter like I did above if you would like.

Place in preheated oven then every 15 minutes take out the chicken and baste it which is just basically taking a spoon or a baster and getting the juices from the bottom to the top of the chicken. This will insure a beautiful golden brown chicken!

After an hour your chicken should be done!  Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes so the juices can redistribute back into the chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home