Saturday, November 23, 2013

Popcorn in a lunch bag

My new favorite way to make popcorn and its soooooo easy and fast!! 

I needed a way to have 16 kids make their own popcorn which would take up time but would also taste good!  I had seen how you could make popcorn in a lunch sack but had never tried it.  I found  out how it works then tried it the night before I had the kids do it (last minute lucy).  Oh my, it reminded me of Orville Redenbacher's Natural line of microwave popcorn .  Problem is Redenbacher  got me hooked with the salt and pepper then all the sudden I can't find it in the store anymore!! This is my replacement!!! I have used oil and I have used butter and like them both equally.

It's been a couple of months since my first bag and now I have showed people all over!

 I will say my microwave with the glass plate takes about 2 1/2 minutes and the ones without the plate need to be watched more closely.  You might have to test your microwave to see the best time would be for yours.   You also might burn a bag or two but it's cheap and once you figure out how long it takes in your microwave your are good to go for life!

I also attached a couple of popcorn recipes... one is caramel popcorn, great recipe and the other is candy corn popcorn (yes, you actually melt candy corn).  You can also make marshmallow popcorn by just melting some butter add marshmallows then once they are melted must pour onto popcorn!  Delicious!

This is fun for kids and just in time for the Holidays with kids out of school and hungry all the time!!!

* I got some bags that started coming apart in the microwave!!!  They held together mostly but you could see them coming apart at sides close to the bottom of the bag .... I had to stop the microwave so that there wasn't popcorn everywhere.  I got about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag of popped popcorn out of them though. Most don't but if yours does just get some new ones... I have found the white ones work pretty good but I had a pack of brown ones that did great too... I think I just got a pack brown ones that weren't glued well (or whatever they do to them).

In a bowl add 1/3 c to 1/2 cup popcorn kernels, you can  use either 1 tsp oil or butter.  I actually melted a 1 tsp of butter then added the rest of the stick which you can see here.. I added salt and pepper but you can just add salt if your not into salt and pepper popcorn.
 
Dump the bowl into your sack then fold down twice, turn microwave on for 2 1/2 minutes, listen closely.
 
Ready... you can see some kernels in the bag which can be reused for the  next bag or tossed out.  I wanted to make sure it didn't burn so I pulled it out.
 
 


                                                             Seriously delicious!!!


 

Microwave Popcorn

1/3 to ½ cup popcorn kernels

1 tsp vegetable oil

½ tsp salt or salt to taste

1 paper lunch sack

  1. In a cup or small bowl, mix together the unpopped popcorn and oil. Pour the coated corn into a brown paper lunch sack, and sprinkle in the salt. Fold the top of the bag over twice to seal in the ingredients.
  2. Cook in the microwave at full power for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until you hear pauses of about 2 seconds between pops. Carefully open the bag to avoid steam, and pour into a serving bowl.
 
 
                                                           
                                   Caramel Popcorn
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
5 quarts popcorn popped (there are 4 cups in 1 quart)
1.      Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C). Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
2.     In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
3.     Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.
_____________________________________________________________________________
    Candy Corn Popcorn
    .
    12 cups popped popcorn
    10 Tbsp butter
    1 bag candy corn
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    On the stove, melt 10 tablespoons of butter, 1 bag of candy corn, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and a big splash of vanilla—stirring just until melted and right before boiling. Spray your wooden spoon with Pam and pour melted mixture evenly over your popped popcorn. You need a big fix and mix Tupperware bowl for this–it works great! Stir to coat.
    Next lay it out evenly on parchment paper to dry for 30 minutes (I love it like this) but for crispy popcorn bake in oven at 250 degrees for 35 mins.
     
     
     

 

1 comment:

Newer Post Older Post Home