Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Roast Beef


I believe we had Roast Beef every Sunday growing up!  There is nothing like walking into a house on a Sunday after Church with Roast in the oven!  I love love roast and I love the house smelling like roast when I walk in the door.

One time my sisters and I were waiting on my parents to come home.  My mom had a roast in the oven and we were dying to take a bite so we did!!  We took out the roast very carefully and took  a few nibbles and when we went to put it back in the oven we DROPPED it!  Oh my!  We acted pretty fast getting it up off the floor along with the potatoes and carrots putting it back in the pan and into the oven.  I think our parents thought something was up because none of us ate any as far as I can remember.  We just weren't hungry ;).  We didn't tell our parents for several years! 

The only other time we didn't eat something my mom made was when she made lamb once only once.  I think I cried because my favorite stuff animal growing up with this floppy white little lamb with a satin little bow.  My sisters loved that lamb too so we three stood together and none of  us budged.  Love my sisters!

I believe the trick to a good roast is searing the meat first because it locks in the juices.  I personally like to cook it in the oven verses the crock pot.  The crock pot makes a good roast and if you need to let it cook while you are at work go ahead.  I suggest cooking it for 8 to 10 hrs depending on what your settings are for your crock pot.

In the oven I like to cook it at 275 for about 4 hours.  The meat will just fall apart!  In my roast I add potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic. 

Most meats have a breaking point especially roast and brisket (since they are so large).  If when you take it out it's not there (the breaking point) cook it for another 20 to 30 minutes (on low heat).


Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes (about 2 inches), slice onions in quarter pieces, chop 2 garlic cloves and I now just buy ready to eat carrots.



In a dutch oven or a nice heavy pan with a lid pour about 2 to 3 Tbsp of Vegetable oil in pan and heat up on med heat


This is a smaller roast than what I normally buy... When I find roast on sale I get it!!  Kroger and Tom Thumb run it on sale alot.  I do prefer Tom Thumbs roast over most they have angus beef.


In the pan place the roast in the hot oil let it sear on that side for about 3 to 4 minutes...
while it is searing add Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and Lawry's garlic salt (with green lid)


Turn sides and add seasonings to that side....also sprinkle some flour lightly on the roast I forgot to take a picture of that... just lightly so that it thickens the juice a tiny bit.


add the chopped veggies and season them with garlic salt (can use regular salt if you want) and pepper then add 1 cup of water.  Cover and place in over for 4 hrs on 275 degrees


Just out of the oven :)


So tender and moist!



1 roast
6 to 8 potatoes (peeled and cut up)
10 to 15 baby carrots
1 onion (cut into long pieces)
2 garlic cloves
Lawry’s garlic salt
Black Pepper
Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Searing the meat.   Place 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil into a dutch oven or roasting
Pan.  Place roast into pan add garlic salt, black pepper and Worcestershire
Sauce on each side browning the meat to keep juices inside.

Sprinkle some flour on each side of roast this will help thicken the juice that the
Roast makes.

Place roast in the middle of the pan add potatoes, carrots, onion & garlic along
The side of the roast.

Add 1 cup of water

Bake at 275 degrees for 4 hours

If you don’t have 4 hours increase oven temperature to 300 or 350 the lower the
Temp the tender the roast.

Baking at 350 roast should be done in about 2 ½ hours…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home