Friday, January 13, 2012

Hot Sauce

We all have things people ask us to make through out the year because they feel yours is the best to them!  My top 5 things I get asked to make alot are 1. Italian Cream Cake  2. Perfectly Chocolate Cake with raspberry 3. Chili  4. Cinnamon Rolls/ regular rolls and then #5. Hot Sauce!


When I make hot sauce I generally make alot of it!  Then I bottle it up and give it away!  When you start adding a can here and a can there you end up with alot of hot sauce!  I make it about every 2 or 3 months I'd say.  Also I often use canned tomatoes from Sam's cause they are only $2.97 and you pay that for two smaller cans at the store... then it really makes alot!


Funny story... years ago my friend Stephanie and I were selling stuff at I believe a craft fair...she always gets me into things :).  Anyway I made hot sauce and sold it!  We kept running out so we both each night went home and made it and then one of the days I spent all day making hot sauce it was crazy!  Well the day I spent all day I had the oils from the jalapeno on my hands and touched my eyes..both eyes!  It hurt so bad and I couldn't seem to get anything to help so I finally filled the sink up with water and literaly put my face in it and opened my eyes to rinse them out!  It helped!


You can do a smaller amount if you want.   I keep the seeds of the jalapeno in because I like them in there but if you don't like hot stuff you can remove the seeds before chopping.   You can also buy mild rotel instead of the orginal or hot.  Most people don't think this is hot after the first bite then they say, wow that has a kick to it!


Honestly this hot sauce ends up being a medium on the hot scale!  It will keep in your fridge for about 2 to 3.... you can tell it's to old when it has a vinegar smell to it!




Jalapenos, serrano peppers and garlic chopped up in processer then
Lawry's garlic salt sprinkled on top
Squeeze some lemon to that....I always get a seed or two in there....it's ok!

Whole can tomatoes and Rotel pureed

add tomato mixture and combine

A jar of hot sauce ready to go!

Now enjoy!

Hot Sauce

2 large cans of whole tomatoes
1 can of rotel tomatoes
Lemon
Lawry’s garlic salt  (the one with the green lid...has sea salt and parsley)
Black pepper to taste
Jalapeño peppers about 6-8  (depending on how hot you want it)
Serrano peppers about 5 to 6
2 or 3 garlic cloves

In a food processor or blender chopped the peppers and garlic
Add to large bowl.  Squeeze one lemon on peppers and add
Garlic salt  then mix together.  Start pureeing tomatoes in processor adding to peppers till done then stir and taste..  You can
Add more garlic salt or lemon if needed.. Also if it’s too HOT you
Can puree another can of tomatoes until it’s just right.

Will keep in fridge for about 3 weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home