Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Peanut Brittle

I had meant to post this before Christmas but my computer crashed a couple of weeks before.  I had a request from my friend Anquinett last week to put this recipe up so here it is!

I made this 3 or 4 times around Christmas and one of those times was in my Cooking Class where I  burned my little pinky!  Ouch! The peanut brittle had just got to 300 degrees and I was
pouring it into the pan and I guess my finger got in the way!  
Man oh man it hurt!  I stood there in front of the first aid kit on the wall  in I guess shock cause it took me a few minutes to get the supplies out!  Thankfully the kitchen I use for my classes has all kinds of stuff for burns! 

I got this recipe from our great family friend, Shannon Richie!  It's very light and airy and addicting!

I am not even a huge fan of peanut brittle but this is so light and airy you just keep eating it!!




3 cups sugar
1 cup white Karo Syrup
½ cup water
1-13 oz can of Spanish Redskin Peanuts (use only this kind)
2 tsp baking soda
Mix sugar, syrup and water in heavy 4 qt saucepan.  Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture boils.   Continue cooking without stirring to 280 degrees on a candy thermometer.  Stir in peanuts gradually.  Stir occasionally and watch closely until mixture reaches 300 degrees; remove from heat.  Add baking soda, gently but quickly, stirring in at once; pour onto two buttered cookie sheets.  Do not spread; cool completely.  Break into desired size pieces.  Store inside an airtight container and this will keep for a good while and will not become sticky and it will remain crunchy.  This makes a large batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home