Monday, February 27, 2012

Mom's Chocolate Pie


This is my all time FAVORITE dessert!  I can remember when I was growing up thinking one day when I'm older I will eat this for dinner!  Like it's one of those things I feel I might could just eat the whole pie!  I never have but you really start dreaming about it when it's in your fridge thinking you just need a bite!

My mom made this alot growing up in fact I think we had dessert with dinner every night!  So of course I feel to this day I have to have something sweet everyday!  I guess I could blame her, lol!

Funny thing about my mom is we would be sitting down for dinner and we would say who is coming over to eat?  She would say no one and we would say but you cooked for an army!  That is just how she did it and the good thing is we all love leftovers to this day!!  We also all cook for an army because that is how we learned!  I just take my leftover to a couple of neighbors and then we eat them for a day or two!

This recipe originally came from a lady named Joanna which happens to also be my mom's name Joanna!  My mom made it so many times it became her recipe so I have called it Mom's Chocolate Pie now for years!

This pie has a almost shortbread crust which is oh so easy!  The filling is a great chocolate pudding that compliments the crust and the meringue!  I use the  recipe for the filling anytime I make chocolate pudding.

The original meringue was just your average meringue but just recently my sister Tammy gave me the recipe to the meringue below!  It happens to come from the original Joanna's daughter-in-law (small world)!  My sister goes to church with the lady (the daughter-in-law) who brought the pie with the beautiful meringue and she got the recipe!!!  This is a great meringue because it doesn't seem to sweat like some of them do... sometimes the sugar in the meringue gets liquidity and sweats (so it shrinks) but so far (I have made 5 now) it hasn't!  It has a great taste and cuts well staying with the pie!  I have had some that slide off or even sometimes airy !

If you want a taller meringue you can add a couple more egg whites!

You can also top this with Whipping Cream!  Cover pie with seran wrap and let it set in fridge for 2 to 4 hours then top with whipping cream.  Make homemade whip cream just takes minutes!  I'll add the recipe below!


Here is what you will need!


For crust- melt 1 stick of butter add 1 cup of flour and 2 Tbsp of powder sugar


Mix together


Press dough into pie plate keeping it even (how easy is that!)


Poke some holes in the dough with a fork to ensure that the crust doesn't shrink


It's ready!


Chocolate Pie filling- In a sauce pan add sugar, flour, cocoa (this is a heaping tbsp of cocoa) and then add 1 cup of milk, combine with a whisk then add eggs and end with the 2nd cup of milk.


Now you are going to have to be patient!  On medium heat stirring often cook until it thickens!  You will wonder when will this ever get thick and then all the sudden it does!


You can see here it is starting to thicken!  Once it's thick take off stove and add butter and vanilla.


Pour into your pie crust.... you can see I made two ;)


Meringue- put your three egg whites into your mixing bowl and turn it on high!
Add 5 Tbsp of sugar one at a time at mid point when you see it starting to thicken


should look like this.. when you pull up the mixer it creates peaks


The secret- in a small sauce pan add 6 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1/2 cup of water and stir on medium heat until it thickens like syrup...see picture below



While it's hot (seems wrong but it works) pour into the meringue mixing on high for about 2 to 3 minutes then add vanilla and dash of salt, mix until incorporated.


Here is the cloudy goodness!  Spread onto pie covering the chocolate well then bake in oven at 350 degrees until it browns slightly on top.  About 10 minutes!  Remember I also doubled this recipe if your thinking mine doesn't seem to be as much..


I'm drooling ;)'


Mom’s Chocolate Pie

2/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour heaping
2 Tbsp cocoa
3 egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp butter

In a saucepan add the sugar, flour and cocoa and blend.  Alternating add milk
And eggs ending with milk.  Cook over low to medium heat until thickens.  Then add vanilla and butter. 

Let cool some then pour into pie crust.

You may top this pie with me meringue or whipping cream.


Pie Crust

1 stick of melted butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup of flour
2 Tbsp powder sugar

In a bowl add flour and powder sugar then add melted butter and mixed well.
Work dough into to pie pan and use fork to make holes in the bottom and sides of crust.  Bake for about 12 minutes on 350 degrees. When the edges get a little golden brown it’s done.

Let cool for 10 minutes and then pour filling in. If you are topping with whipping
Cream then cover pie with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
Then top with whipping cream when you are ready to serve.

No fail Meringue

6 Tbsp sugar
3 egg whites
5 Tbsp of sugar, 1/2 cup cold water.
1Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Beat egg whites until stiff adding 5 tablespoons of sugar 1 @ a time.   While beating egg whites, in a small saucepan, add 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water. and heat until thickened and remove from heat. Ad the cornstarch mixture to eggs and continue beating until mixed good.  Add dash of salt and 1 tsp vanilla and mix 2 to 3 minutes.  Spread on pie and brown. 

Whipping Cream


1 cup heavy cream (chilled)
2 Tbsp powder sugar  (add more if needed)
1 tsp vanilla

In a deep mixing bowl, beat one cup heavy cream until soft
peaks form. Sprinkle sugar over cream; beat until soft peaks
return.  Do not over beat.

Makes about 2 cups

If you have time chill your bowl before hand and beaters 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home