Thursday, February 2, 2012

Old Fashion Strawberry Cake


Oh Strawberry cake!  It really does make ya think a grandma made this when you make it!  It's so moist and so simple and delicious!  I"m not a cake box girl but I will admit there are about 4 cakes I make with a box that you then add to this or that to the mix.  This is one of the cakes I make with a mix then there is that great dump cake (kinda like a cobbler) along with the sock it to me cake (like a coffee cake- pound cake) and last but not least the Neiman Marcus cake!  Otherwise I make everything by scratch!  Oh and actually a cake mix makes some great crumbs to top a muffin by just adding some flour then cutting butter into it!! 

I have a friend who request this cake every year cause his Grandmother used to make it for him on his brithday.  So I gladly make it :) 

I grease and flour my own pans ALWAYS, but if you feel you must use the spray go ahead..... just know it takes just a couple minutes to prepare a pan with crisco and flour.  Your cakes will always come out of the pan easily and you won't have the spray taste to it!





This is what you will need


add cake mix, flour and jello to your mixing bowl



add oil and water and mix till combined


add eggs and mix well



I had strawberries at home and when I was at the store I wasn't willing to pay almost $4 for a small tub of frozen strawberries!  So I pureed these in a food processor (can use a blender) and made my own!


If you do what I did and use fresh just add a couple tablespoons of sugar then puree...takes seconds!


pureed strawberries


add pureed strawberries and mixed until incorporated



ready to go into pan

grease and flour your pan... honestly it doesn't take but a minute!


Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 30 to 35 mins until your toothpick comes out clean


Oops!  I forgot to get a pic before I started cutting!


Yes, it is as delicious as it looks ;)




1 10oz frozen strawberries or ¾ to 1 cup cup fresh strawberries  pureed with 2 Tbls sugar
1 pkg white cake mix
1 3oz box strawberry jello
3 T flour
½ cup water
¾ cup vegetable oil
4 eggs

Icing
2 cups powder sugar
1/2 cup butter
Extra strawberries from above
1 tsp vanilla

Thaw strawberries, blend cake, jello & flour in mixing bowl beat
inn water, oil & eggs.  Stir in ¾ of the strawberries, spread batter
Into greased & floured pan 13 X 9.

To make icing melt butter in sauce pan then add powder sugar, stirring
To dissolve then add strawberries left from above & vanilla. 

Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.

Pour icing over cake while it is hot.

Garnish with fresh strawberries if you would like!



You may also use 2 round pans and frost it with cream cheese icing.
I buy a jar of strawberry jam and use that for the inside layer then
frost with cream cheese icing… recipe follows for cream cheese icing.

Let cake completely cool before icing.

Cream Cheese Icing
1 oz cream cheese (softened)
1 cup  butter (2 sticks)
3 to 4 cups of powder sugar (to your taste-sweetness)
1 tsp vanilla

With a mixer cream the softened cream cheese &  butter then add powder sugar a little at a time then add vanilla.  If it’s a little thick you can add a little milk or water to get the consistency you want.  I would start with a tablespoon and go from there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home