Friday, February 10, 2012

Spanish Rice



I am going to be honest and say I could never make spanish rice!  Mine would come out with a nutty texture almost.  Some of the rice would be done and the rest would be halfway done!  It frustrated me to no end!   My friend Madeline makes the best spanish rice!  I would ask her how she made it then go home and still I got the same result half done rice!  So one day I went over to my her  house and watched her actually make it!  Madeline's rice is always so fluffy and moist with a great simple flavor. 

In watching her I found the key to making spanish rice........keep adding water or chicken broth!  You may end up adding 6 cups of liquid in the end but you will end up with fluffy beautiful rice!!  You have to be patient too and cook it until you see that fluffy moist texture.

What you do is every time you see that the rice has absorb the liquid keep adding more liquid just to cover the top of the rice (maybe 1/2 a cup at a time).  Make sure you stir here and there or after each addition of liquid.

I am not a big fan of non stick pans.  I mainly only use stainless steel but I do use a non stick for this.  You want to make sure you have a lid so the steam can also soften the rice.  If the pan you are using doesn't have a lid just put a plate on top being careful each time up take it off because it will be hot!

I now make really good Spanish Rice!!  It's like once you get it you just get it!

Also I don't always use rotel but what is rotel not good in!  I guess it depends on how many cans I have left and if I remember.  This is one of those recipes that once you have made it a few times you don't need the recipe. 



Heat up some oil in a pan and add rice and the onion


keep stirring-shifting rice around for 2 to 4 minutes then add garlic

Pour chicken stock over rice just enough to cover it then add Knorr's chicken bouillon and tomato bouillon...picture of bouillon below.  You would add rotel now too...I didn't this time.



You can find this on the Hispanic aisle it really gives great flavor to the rice and the tomato gives the reddish color.  Great price also on these!



every time you see the water being absorb just add more...you can add water or chicken broth


Keep adding that liquid!  Keep the rice covered with the water or chicken broth.


Almost done but still needs to cook....add a little more liquid until the rice nice and fluffy


Nice soft fluffy tender moist rice!





                                              Spanish Rice


2 Tbl oil
2 Tbl chopped onion
1 garlic clove chopped
1 ½ cups uncooked white rice
2 cups chicken broth
3 to 4 cups of water
1 cube Knorr's chicken bouillon
1 cube Knorr's tomato bouillon
Lawry's Garlic Salt to taste
1 can rotel (optional)

Directions
Heat oil in pan then add rice and onions brown for about 3 mintues then add chopped garlic.  Cook until slightly brown.

When rice begins to brown stir in chicken broth And rotel.  You may end up adding up to 6 cups of liquid.  Every time you see the rice has absorbed the liquid add enough liquid to cover the top of the rice (about 1/2 cup at at time). 

 Make sure you cover your pan so that the steam helps soften the rice.  The rice will cook for 20 to 30 minutes just be patient and keep adding that liquid until the rice becomes nice and fluffy!  Make sure to stir the rice here and there.

Once the rice is nice and fluffy it's done!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home