Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Day with Shortie

I had to convert this to a post...I had it under pages but I couldn't add it to a category under pages so long story short you may have already read this but just incase you haven't...here it is again!!!


Shortie is my neighbor who lives across the street from me.   He will turn 88 in April!  Last year he thought he was 88 all year and then one day I said Shortie you are 87!  He said oh yeah, you're right! I've been thinking I was 88 all this time!!  It was as if I added a year to his life he was so happy!! 

Shortie often comes knocking on my door early in the morning!  You know how you have this feeling something is going to happen but you tell yourself like on this one morning....nah it's raining he wouldn't walk over here!  Then all the sudden there is that knock at the door so you jump out of bed throw on some clothes and pretend you were awake!  Happens to me alot! 

Shortie has been a blessing to me!  He seems to enjoy my company and I enjoy his for sure! 

This past Halloween some friends came over to eat and we had the candy ready for trick or treaters waiting by the door.  Someone knocked at the door and I was so excited and said to Todd and Brenda, oh good you get to meet Shortie!  It wasn't Shortie it was a trick or treater!  I laugh about that alot because he comes over so much I just assumed it was him!

Yesterday I took Shortie with me to visit a young man that is in the hospital.  I met this guy, Jeramy a couple of years ago when he was going through a bone marrow transplant.  Jeramy is a remarkable young man!  I ran into Jeramy and his Mom while I was at the Ronald McDonald House in Dallas about a month ago.  He and his mom were telling me that he had been given a Wish from a foundation that let him choose where he would like to go.  He choose Hawaii to tour Pearl Harbor, Jeramy loves history and airplanes!  They also told me Jeramy would be back at Children's in a few weeks.

Well one day I was over at Shortie's and he was telling me another story of him working on fighter planes for the war and a light bulb went off !  I told Shortie about Jeramy and I said would you ever go with me to see him?  He said I don't know what I would say... I said well you would tell him what you tell me about working on those airplanes during the war!  He said he would think about it so I said ok and left it at that.

The next week or so I was back over there and he said I was thinking I could tell that guy this...... and that..... and well I guess I could go with you.  I said great (I was in shock cause he always has an excuse why he can't go)!  So I set up a time to go and visit Jeramy which was yesterday!  The days leading up to yesterday Shortie would come over and say now when are we going to see that guy?  I said we will leave here at 12:00 on Tuesday!  He said ok and then the day before we went he came over and said now I got to get my hair cut because it's all woolie, lol!  It was far from being woolie but he wanted to look his best! 

I do catering so I delivered my lunches and got home around 11:30 then headed over to Shortie's right at 12:00 because I knew if I didn't he would be over here knocking on the door!  Now what you might not know about Shortie is that he wears pretty much the same outfit everyday!  Khaki pants that are warn in the knees with a slight rip, a light blue long sleeved button down shirt and if it's chilly a polo cotton jacket. In the summer he will have on a baseball cap to protect him from the sun.  It's his around the house clothes and everyone in the neighborhood knows that is pretty much his attire everyday..

I drove across the street to his driveway and knock on his door and there was Shortie in his going out attire.   He had on crisp khaki pants, a white plaid shirt, black belt and a black leather jacket!!  His hair was freshly cut and he had on his new light titanium glasses that he wears alot but not everyday. He climbed into my car... it's a jeep so it's not as low as a car is to the ground like his Camry is so it takes him a minute!  I said 3 times don't forget your seat belt!  He finally put it on and we headed to the big city Dallas!

I really wish I could remember everything that he says because he has some pretty good one liners!  I'm going to have to start writing them down!

We get to the bridge going over 287 to get on the highway and there was a slow down because of construction.  The first car in line was just at a stand still even though the guy on the other side of the street was waving her to go.  A couple of cars passed her up and then we were 3 cars behind when Shortie said just gun it and pass her up!  I said well let me see then I finally passed her and guess what she was doing the whole 3 or 4 minutes???.... texting!  She never saw the guy on the other side of the road waving her to go she just saw the temporary red light. ughh

We get onto 287 and then I-35 where there are lots of "big trucks"!  Almost every time we got up to a big truck he would say "hit it" meaning speed up and pass that truck!  I had to laugh literally out loud!  He said he doesn't like big trucks they make him nervous so he said he just speeds up and passes them!  So I "hit it" when I could without getting us both killed!  Then he would look in the side mirrors and say we left you in the dust!!!   LOL

I coached him a bit on what not to say (no negative thinking, lol) while we were in the car and about what all we were going to be doing that day.  I told him my parents happened to be at Children's today and so we would meet up with them then go up to see Jeramy.  After visiting with Jeramy we would go by and see Sophia at the Ronald McDonald House.  He said ok, I'm with you today!

He did ask what do you get out of doing all this.... I said you will see at the end of the day.  The last paragraph sums it up why I do what I do and how he felt after the day.

We arrive at Children's and go into the parking garage.  I get the ticket and we make our way up and around the many levels.  He was pretty amazed at all the cars and said he didn't think he could drive in there and didn't know how I could!  In all honestly I'm sure he was just thinking about his car and someone backing into him accidentally!  He is very protective of his car and parks aways so he can control any dings or bumps to his car.  This is a guy who lifts his hood up after a trip to Cedar Hill (30 miles one way round trip 60) and back so his engine can cool off! 


We find a place at the VERY top and walk to the elevator and got the one that has a view of Children's and not the one that faces the parking garage.  He marveled at the large building and the glass elevator that let him see outside.  As we get off and walk to the long walkway we see my dad!  He was walking to his car to get me something.  My parents were at the hospital visiting some people from their church who had a baby boy that was having surgery that morning.  We said our hellos and made our way up to find my mom as my dad went to his car to get some shoes my mom had for me.  I really do have the best parents ;) just had to throw that in there!

We get to the information desk and tell them who we were going to see and they always ask do you feel ok today??  Any fever?? Any..... then Shortie says nope I'm feeling pretty good today!  We use the hand sanitizer to get any germs we brought in off and  got our sticker then went to find my Mom.  She was talking (as usual, lol) to someone she saw from their church so we waited.  Then said our hellos again and talked for a little bit.  I went to take some food to the volunteer office fridge that we were taking to Sophia later.  I grabbed Angela to come meet Shortie.  Angela works in the volunteer office.  I volunteer at Children's, I believe this is my 14th or 15th year there can't remember for sure.

We say our goodbyes and head up to see Jeramy.

I had taken some pictures of my parents and Shortie and he put up a fuss and said now Kim, I don't want my picture taken.  I wouldn't take no for an answer so I took not one but 3 or 4 pics!  When we got to the elevator he said now get me a copy of that picture!  Helen (his girlfriend, another long story) has been bugging me for a picture!  I said I thought you didn't want a picture.....lol!


My Dad, Shortie and my Mom


I just love that smile....I really think he enjoyed himself today!

We get on the elevator and they have these mirrors shaped as kids and he looks in one to see if his hair is ok then we get off on the floor we needed to be on.  To get to where Jeramy is you have to push the speaker button to say your there and they will open the doors.  Jeramy is in a area that is not off limits but they do limit people from just walking back there.  We wash our hands in this surgical looking sink  with the on and off button on the front that you push with your leg so that you don't touch anything.....he said well this is official! 

We get to Jeramy's room and found him taking a nap!  I whispered to his mom we could come back but she said no, I'll wake him.  So Jeramy wakes up and I put a chair where Shortie could sit down and I leaned back on the counter of the sink in his room.  Shortie said well if you are standing I can stand too!  He leaned back on the counter and started talking about planes and how he got started at Vought Aircraft during the war.

He finally got warmed up and Jeramy's mom and I had to say now Shortie!  He talked about driving fast cars in his day!  Getting up to 120 miles an hour which Jeramy's mom said now he is 20 yrs old don't put any ideas into his mind...jokingly!  He told how he out ran a cop for 4 years in his I believe Ford then he bought a new car that was only half the car and got caught!  The cop pulled him over and said I finally got you!  Shortie had to go before the judge and was giving a $40 fine which back in those days was a full weeks salary! 

He got started talking about the P-51, F16, B52 and many more that I can't remember!  I don't even know if I got those right!  Knowing most of his stories I would prompt him to tell about this or that.. He told how the FBI in dark suits were on the upper deck watching everyone work because they thought someone (a worker) might  be sabotaging the planes because they had a BIG problem in the engine and no one could find it !  Well guess who found the problem with the plane????  Shortie!  He felt down in an area of the plane where he thought the problem might be and found whatever it was that was causing the plane to have it's major problem!  Yep, the FBI left and Shortie was the hero!  He didn't even get a bonus!  To this day he says I should have gotten something it was that big of a deal!

Jeramy showed Shortie pictures of his trip to Hawaii and Shortie listened and made comments to one of the planes in the picture.  He told him how they would start that plane to warm it up and just listen to it roar and  how it gave off (and I'm not saying this right) sparks like fire crackers.  Oh how he loved that sound!

Jeramy's Dad had been sleeping on the couch because his back was hurting him.  He got up and joined in on the conversation.  Jeramy has some great parents!  Somehow the topic went from airplanes to cars then airplanes to cars.  I told him to tell them what kind of car he wanted to have and he said what a Lexus?  I said no, the one you talk about with the Hemi!  Oh yeah, the Dodge!  Then he went into stories of the cars with metal frames and how Dodge Charger could pick up and go!  Dual exhaust came up and it just went from there!  Those cars are just fast!!

He also talked about working late with one of his buddies (they were the only ones there working) and they both hopped on some bikes and rode all over the building that was over a mile long!  They sat up in the the plane like I want to say in the engine or the ????? not where you would normally sit eating their lunch hanging their feet over looking at the beauty of the place they worked at.

The conversation went on for a bit then I said it was time to go.  He started talking again as he does when I start towards the door at his house.  Then finally we get up to go and he says to Jeramy "you can whoop this cancer"!  Jeramy said yes sir!

The best word to describe Jeramy is remarkable!  He is truly a remarkable young man!


 

We make our way back to the car passing people I knew here and there and Shortie was like man you sure know alot of people!  lol

We make our way to the Ronald McDonald House to visit Sophia!  I had told him Sophia couldn't really get out much and could only eat food they prepared in their transplant apartment at RMH (ronald mcdonald house).  He said well I better stay in the car... I said no they said you could some up!  He said well maybe I should just stay here.. I said ok, but really they said you could come in......that is all it took!  He said ok lets go!

Sohpia happened to have a bone marrow transplant like Jeramy will be having done tomorrow.  She is now out of the hospital but must stay close to Children's so she is able to stay at RMH during her 100 day stay.  Sophia is 14 and LOVES purple!  She has the coolest purple Nike leather tennis shoes!  I don't even like tennis shoes!  I wear walking shoes when I go walking but I think I would love to have a pair of these beauties!  I'll have to get a picture because you have to see them!!!!  Sophie has purple Toms shoes too!  She is just that cool!  She is truly an inspiration too me!

I met Sophie and her mom one night when our group Creating Heartstrings was there to make Cinnamon Rolls!  Sophia helped and later they told me they made them when they were at home.  Senna her mom said they were going to take this opportunity to cook together while they were at RMH for the 100 days.  So one night I thought I could take them a surprise recipe once a week and the ingredients that they could make together!  That is what Shortie and I were taking to them yesterday the two surprise recipes for the week and ingredients!

Shortie's stories changed from planes and cars to growing up on the farm!  He of course threw in things about planes and cars but he talked about their smoke house on the farm and John Deere tractors!  Along with working hard and honoring his Mom and Dad.  Senna talked about remembering plucking chickens of it's feather and you know the rest.... Shortie piped in too.  He worked hard on the farm and loved every minute of it!!

We said our goodbyes and made our way back home and all the way he was like this traffic would just cause me to stay home!  Glad you are driving!  He thinks my car hugs the roads nicely!  Big complement from him and the fact that he ask me over and over.... have you looked at any new cars lately? He thinks my car is nice and quiet and drives better than his near perfect Camry!  Wow!  My Jeep has been good to me all these years!


Me, Sophia and Shortie


Oh and probably the best thing from the whole day!  He was getting into my car after seeing Sophie and Jeramy and he said you know I just have a sore knee that is all that is wrong with me!  My goodness I don't have any problems worth complaining over!  I said yep, when you asked me earlier what I got out of this.... I realized quickly my problems are nothing compared to what so many have to go through!  You just leave thankful!  He said I see now why you go....I sure do. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home