Sunday, March 18, 2012

Savory Rolls and Caramel Cinnamon Rolls

   I posted this recipe I believe in October, it's under Refrigerator Yeast Rolls and it's still one of the best recipes I have found.  I've made this dough for soooo many things!  It makes really good rolls, cinnamon rolls, bread sticks and more.

 I had made some dough on Sunday for my Kid's Cooking Class so it would be ready to roll out on Monday.  We rolled out the cinnamon rolls and then we made some more dough.  That dough we made was in my fridge waiting to be used!  I made Meatballs and Spaghetti for dinner Thursday night and remembered I had that dough in the fridge.  It keeps up to 5 days in the fridge making it so easy to use because once you make it you can pull out as much as you want during the week!

So I made some Savory Rolls by rolling the dough out like I would cinnamon rolls.  I then brushed on melted butter to the dough, sprinkled Lawry's Garlic Salt with the green lid, some chopped garlic and some Penzey's Spices- Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle. I rolled it up and cut it like I would the cinnamon rolls..  I brushed some melted butter that I added the garlic salt and cheese sprinkle on the top of each one.  So good!!

I also had more dough so instead of making the regular cinnamon rolls I made some with caramel on top!  Yep, very good too!  I have caramel recipe below.


Layers of goodness!


Place 1/3 of the dough onto a floured surface then roll out to the shape below


With a brush or spoon cover dough with melted butter  then add whatever you would like.  I added Lawry's garlic salt, Penzey's cheese sprinkle and chopped garlic.. you can add parmeasan cheese, mozzarella cheese, basil or ???mozzarella.  Roll u and cut into slices, place on a cookie sheet and let them rise then bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 375.


Right out of oven




 
Caramel Cinnamon Rolls

There is a step by step process to make the cinnamon rolls under Refrigerator Yeast Rolls.
In a pan melt butter add 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 tsp corn syrup and cook on medium for 5 minutes.


Caramel


Pour over cinnamon rolls...you can add pecans too


Delicious!





Dough


1 cup shortening
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup boiling water
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted


Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in 1 cup boiling water. Cool. Stir in eggs. Combine yeast and 1 cup warm water in a 1-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes. Stir into egg mixture. Gradually add flour, stirring until blended. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.


Cover and chill remaining dough up to 5 days, if desired.


Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Let rise at room temperature 30 mins to 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.


I also make clover rolls by making three small balls and placing them in a buttered muffin tin.   Brush with melted butter. Let rise at room temperature 30 mins to 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.  Cinnamon rolls take about 18 to 20 mins...check the middle to make sure they are done....some ovens vary.


Cinnamon Rolls: Roll one-third of dough into a 14- x 10-inch rectangle. Brush with 1/2 cup melted butter; sprinkle with 1/4 c sugar, 1/4 c brown sugar and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Roll up, starting at a long end; cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Place in 2 lightly greased 9-inch round cake pans (I use 1 9X13pan). Let rise and bake as directed above. Stir together 1/4 cup melted butter  1 cup powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons milk (or water) and 1 tsp vanilla; drizzle glaze over warm rolls. Yield: about 1 1/2 dozen.

Caramel topping - Melt 1/4 cup butter then add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp corn syrup and cook on medium heat for about 5 mintues.  Then when rolls come out of oven drizzle glaze over warm rolls.


Herb Rolls: Follow procedure for Cinnamon rolls, substituting 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh chives, chopped fresh basil, and chopped fresh rosemary for sugar and cinnamon. Omit powdered sugar glaze. Yield: about 1 1/2 dozen.

Yield:  1 1/2 dozen per portion

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this with the Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out the Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle. Check out the Refrigerator Rolls- same recipe just has more info!

      Delete

Newer Post Older Post Home