Caramel for Apples

 








I believe I found this recipe in 2012, it's been my go to ever since!  

In the beginning I would dip the apples into the caramel but realized when I would reheat the extra that was left over it reheated very well.  So I started keeping it in a glass jar in my refrigerator and reheating that jar up and pouring it out into a bowl or whatever I needed it for.  It heat and reheats very well.   Once it's heated it becomes pourable and you could drizzle it on a cake or put it in a bowl to dip apples slices or even cookies... endless possibilities. 


Caramel Apples
Makes about 10, depending on size

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter 
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup  light corn syrup or maple syrup                                                                              
1- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


In a large saucepan set over medium high heat, melt the butter. Stir in brown sugar and reduce heat to medium, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is incorporated. Add the corn syrup, mixing thoroughly.  Finally, add the sweetened condensed milk, and return to medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 235 degrees (113 C). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and food coloring (if using). Immediately dip apples.

Dip apples: Hold the skewered apple at a 45 degree angle as you dip it into the caramel. Rotate the apple until it is coated completely. Allow excess caramel to drip off then place the dipped apples on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow to cool completely before serving.

Like I said above I generally heat the caramel in the glass jar then pour into a cute little bowl and dip the apple slices in it or drizzle some on a slice.  Then I just put that same bowl back in the fridge for next time.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment