Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Classic Chess Pie


Chess Pie is one of my all time favorites!  It's super easy to make especially if you use a frozen pie crust which is what I did.  I make my own crust but I also buy them to save time.  I like to buy Pet Ritz brand, Sarah Lee's or Marie Callender's.  You want to get the deep dish so that the filling doesn't run out while baking.

Honestly it was after I made this pie for the first time years ago I realized why they say "it's as easy as pie"!  Takes minutes to put together and about 50 to 55 minutes to bake.  You want to make sure it does bake for the whole time so that it sets.  A little under might make it a tiny bit runny.  Now if your oven bakes faster than usual then just check it and make sure it doesn't giggle.





I used a frozen pie crust you can take this out of the tin and put it in your own pie plate ;)
I do have a good pie crust recipe on here if you want to make your own.  I was just in a hurry!
Bake the crust like it says for 4 to 5 mintues before pouring the pie filling in.



add dry ingredients then the butter, eggs, milk, vinegar, vanilla and stir until combined


pour into pie crust and bake for 50 to 55 mintues


after 10 to 20 minutes cover the edges with foil...I usually wait unitl 20 mintues so it can set alittle so when I pull it out it doesn't spill out of the pie.  You can also use pie shields which I have but the foil was right there!

Truly delicious and easy as pie!




Classic Chess Pie



1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.
Line pastry with aluminum foil, and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
Bake at 425° for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake 2 more minutes or until golden. Cool.
Stir together sugar and next 7 ingredients until blended. Add eggs, stirring well. Pour into pie crust.
Bake at 350° for 50 to 55 minutes, shielding edges with aluminum foil after 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Coconut Chess Pie: Prepare filling as directed above; stir in 1 cup toasted flaked coconut before pouring into pie crust. Bake as directed above.

Yield:  1 (9-inch) pie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home