Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bread Pudding


I have never been a huge fan of Bread Pudding but then again I really never have had it much!  I did have some last year and it was full of raisins, cinnamon and some odd seasoning that I couldn't put my finger on! I once again wasn't impressed.   As I was looking for recipes for my class I came across bread pudding which looked really good and thought well we have never made it before in class so I decided to make it.

Wow, this is a good recipe! It's really good and I actually loved it!  I found the recipe on Paula Deen's website but changed a few things.  For one she only had 3 cups of bread and I added 5 cups which for me was key because it wasn't soggy at all.  I think the few times I ate bread pudding it was so soggy it grossed me out.  This was delicious and not soggy! She also used milk in this recipe but half and half in a few other recipes so I used half and half. 

The only thing I would change is I would probably add the sauce to each individual serving instead of pouring it on the whole pan at once.  It was good but there was a lot of sauce!  I think the presentation would be better too for each serving.

I used french bread but you can use really any kind of bread.  I saw recipes that used Italian bread, french, regular white bread and even hamburger buns!

Also the brown sugar mixture on top just makes this recipe!  The nuts can be optional but the brown sugar and butter give this a delicious flavor!

The sauce does have Brandy in it but you could use brandy flavoring.  I would start out with 1 tsp of brandy flavoring and a 1/4 of water, then add more for your liking if you would like.  I happened  to have a small bottle of brandy at home which I have had for I bet 7 years!  My friend Stephanie gave me a recipe for brandy sauce that you top a apple pie with so I had it for that.  I personally don't drink so I was like I hope it's still good (after 7+ yrs) !  A lady in my class says it gets better with age...I was like, I have heard that before! 


Cut bread into 1 inch cubes then let sit out either over night or all day so it can dry out


Combine the sugar, eggs, half and half and vanilla


Pour over dry bread and let sit for 10 minutes


Top with brown sugar mixture -brown sugar, butter and pecans

 

Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes-- at this point next time I will dish out a serving then pour sauce over that single serving.


Make sauce-- takes no time at all!  then pour over bread pudding or individual servings








Bread Pudding

2 cups sugar
5 beaten eggs
2 cups half and half
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups cubed Italian or French Bread, allow to stale overnight in a bowl
1 cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cups butter
1/2 cup pecans (optional)
For the sauce
1 cup sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
¼ cup brandy
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan.
Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.
In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.
Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.
For the sauce:
Mix together the granulated sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted. Add the brandy, stirring well. Pour over bread pudding. Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home