Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chicken Salad

This is one of the most requested things I get asked to make in catering.  I have made it so many times I will have to admit I get tired of making it!  I bake my chicken in the oven but you could also boil it in some water then chop it into small pieces. 

You want to make this the night before or at least several (4) hours before because the taste of the chicken salad totally changes! 

This goes well on croissants but also good on just bread!  I buy Sam's Club croissants because they aren't so hard to cut and hold up better.   They are also cheaper and freeze very well!  I freeze them all the time in freezer bags.  At Sam's they are $5.99 for 12 and most grocery stores you get 4 for $4.99.    I just pull them out of the freezer the night before and if I forget I pop them in the microwave.

This recipe below is for alot of folks!  I tell people basically you make this like you would make tuna fish.  Add enough of the other ingredients to the amount of chicken you are using.

 You just want to make sure when making the mayo-whip cream combo you have enough to coat the chicken well and have a reserve for the next day.  I usually start out with 1 cup to 1 cup (I also mix the 2 together after I whip the whip cream) and if there is any left it will keep in the fridge for about a week (or longer).  

When  I am making for a large group I totally go by the recipe below.

The chicken will absorb some of the mixture when in the fridge. The next day I often add some of the reserve mixture to the leftover salad then I add the grapes to the portion I am using.

Chicken Salad Sandwich



This is the first time I made the chicken in a dutch oven usually I use just a cookie sheet. 
                                                                                   



Chopped up celery


I am a Hellmann's fan for sure!  It really does bring out the best in whatever you make it's so buttery tasting!



Pour the whipping cream into mixing bowl


Whip till it turns into cream and it makes peaks


It's ready!  Now if you happened to make too much you can always add powder sugar to the leftover portion (never to the portion you are adding to the chicken salad)!  Making whip cream is that easy!!!!! 

Combine part mayo to part whipped cream (so 2 cups to 2 cups-example)


Combine the two together

Normally I baked the chicken on a cookie sheet and after its baked you can cut it into cubes.  This time I used my new Le Creuset dutch oven and it bakes it so tender it shreds... So either way works!


In a large bowl add chicken, almonds, celery and salt & pepper


Mix all together with mayo mixture


Wash grapes


Cut grapes in half


Mix in enough grapes for what you will be needing. 


This Chicken salad is wonderful on croissants but taste really good just on plain bread!!  If I am putting it on croissants I just put a little mayo or left over dressing (mayo-whip cream mixture) on the croissant first same thing on bread.. you can add lettuce, tomato and red onion if you like but it's just as good plain!!!


                                                              




Chicken Salad

6 lbs chicken breast cooked (12 cups chopped)
3 cups chopped celery
1 1/2  cups silvered almonds (sliced thin)
3t  salt 
1t  pepper (or more to taste)

Red grapes cut in half  (about 2 cups)

Dressing
2 cups Hellman mayonnaise
2 cups whipped cream (whipped from carton no sugar)

Mix all together

Add grapes as you make sandwiches… if you add in beginning the juice of the grapes will spread in salad.


You can use less chicken!  Add some chopped celery, almonds and salt and pepper to taste then add equal amounts of Hellman’s mayonnaise and whip cream until chicken is at a good consistency..

Save some of the dressing to refresh leftover chicken salad.


3 comments:

  1. this is really similar to the chicken salad that I make and i LOVE it! I'll have to try your recipe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, do you remember Aunt Paulie's Tea Room? I got this Recipe years ago from Charlotte Lanham who got it from Doug Branch! The key is to let it sit over night or at least 3 or 4 hours! It's my #1 request in catering, I have made it sooooo much I get so tired of making it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember the tea room. I loved going there! I'm trying to remember if Leanne Bridges used to work there? I learned how to make my chicken salad from her! Ha!

    When we were on staff in San Angelo everyone loved my chicken spaghetti and my chicken salad sandwiches. =)

    ReplyDelete

Newer Post Older Post Home