Friday, March 9, 2012

Banana Cake with Marshmallow Icing


I know that I am always saying this is one of my childhood favs but this really is another one!!!  Banana Cake with Marshmallow Icing is good for dessert, breakfast or just because!  My mom used to make this alot growing up and we three girls all still make it.  It's one of those things that takes you back and those memories just start coming!

I made this for my bible study this week since I had signed up to bring a dessert.  I was in a hurry because I had as usual 3 places to be before bible study all 25 to 40 miles apart.  So I added the top icing too soon causing it to melt ;( and I used a larger pan thinking it was a 9X13 when I pulled it out but it was slightly larger.  The recipe does call for a 15X9 but I like to use a slightly smaller pan like a 9X13 so the cake is a little taller.  My first cake I used was more of a 15X9 and then later that evening I made another one for something I needed  the next morning and for that one I used a 9X13 pan which is what I am used to using for this cake.

The 15X9 makes more of a cake bar and the 9X13 makes more of a cake like piece.  Both work!




This is what you will need


cream sugar and shortening together


add an egg to the shortening and sugar


combine 1 tsp of baking soda and 1 Tbsp of water then pour into batter along with 1 tsp vanilla



sift flour and baking powder together...this lightens the flour


smash some bananas...you will need 1-1/3 cups


add flour and bananas alternating until they are combined


Honestly it just takes seconds to grease and flour your pan....just seconds!
Dip your paper towel into some shortening and spread around the bottom and sides of your pan.


After you grease pan sprinkle some flour and shake off the excess making sure it gets on the the sides and bottom of the pan.


Pour batter into your greased and floured pan and spread it till it covers the bottom evenly.


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until done.


Spoon on marshmallow creme and let it sit for about 2 to 3 minutes this allows the marshmallow to melt alittle so it's easier to spread.


After about 2 minutes or so spread the marshmallow creme all over the cake. Let the cake cool then add the yellow icing. 


melt butter add powder sugar, milk, vanilla and a few drops of yellow food coloring (optional)

Ok, so I was in a hurry and needed to leave my house so I went ahead and put the top icing on the marshmallow before it was totally cool.  It melted and made it look a mess :( but I had to leave and in the end it tasted the same ;)  I made another cake when I got home from bible study for something the next morning and the top looked much better...I just forgot to get a pic!  I did get a pic of a piece of cake and you can see how the topping should look!



Look at all that goodness on top!


So this is what the top looks like when you allow the marshmallow topping to cool ;)






                                       Banana Cake with Marshmallow Icing


1 ½ cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 T water
1 tsp vanilla
 1 1/3 cup bananas
1 (7oz) jar marshmallow cream

Icing
2 cups powder sugar
1 T melted butter
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
A few drops of yellow food coloring

Sift Dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.  Cream shortening & sugar add egg, beat well.  Stir in soda mix & vanilla.  Add dry ingredients alternately with bananas beating
Well after each addition.  Spread into greased & floured 15X19 pan.

Bake at 350 25 – 30 minutes

Remove from oven drop spoonfuls of marshmallow cream on bars let stand 2 minutes.  Spread gently over surface of cake.

Cool Frost with vanilla icing.

Icing
Combine powder sugar, melted butter, milk and vanilla stir until blended then add a few drops of yellow food coloring.  Blend until smooth.  Spread on bars gently and cut into squares.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think that a better recipe existed besides my grandmother's, but boy was I wrong! This banana cake was unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete

Newer Post Older Post Home