Thursday, March 15, 2012

Shortie is getting married ;)

It's been a little while since I have given a "Shortie" update!  He has been quite busy this last month!!

Shortie has had a girlfriend named Helen for a year and a half to two years now.  He met her at the Braum's here in Waxahachie.   Helen's husband past away about 4 yrs ago and about 2 yrs ago her house burned down so she went to go live with her daughter in McAllen, Texas.  Shortie and her would talk by phone here and there but this last year they pretty much talk every night at 7:30 sharp!

For about a year she kept telling Shortie she was coming to visit but things never worked out.  He would say I think she is blowing me off or I just don't think she will ever come!  This last Fall he bought her a wedding ring!  He had me come over to see it right away and he would say I should have gotten something bigger!  I said I think she is going to just love it!  He was worried needless to say!  He told her about the ring not long after he bought it and one day he would say well I think she just might marry me then the next week he would say I think it's off!  Back and forth it would go.  One day I was over there and the phone was ringing and I said are you going to get that?  He would say no, it's just Helen she needs to cool off a little we got in a little fight, I'm not answering just yet. lol! 



A couple of weeks ago Helen finally came to visit!  This was to determine if they would get married or not so Shortie was quite nervous but excited at the same time.  He showed me the ring one more time before she came and I reassured him it was beautiful! 

The night she arrived I happened to be up so I peered out the window around 12:30 a.m. and watched her get out of the car (a friend picked her up from the bus station).  There they were Shortie and Helen together at last!  It was a sweet site to take in, he picked up her bags and she followed him into the house through the garage.  They of course slept in two different bedrooms, she is a church going woman he said!

I finally got to meet Helen the next day!  They were pulling out of his driveway and he stopped in the middle of the road and rolled down his window.  In the background you could hear some 1940's music playing, you know the big band sound with Frank Sinatra.  He introduced us then said they were headed to go and get a hamburger.  Shortie is a somewhat vegetarian he will eat some beef  (rarely) but I do believe this lady is going to change him yet!

 I finally went over on Wednesday two days after she got here and stayed 45 minutes or so.  Helen said now I thought you were going to be much older.  I had to laugh.  They teased each other back and forth and they both had big smiles the whole time!  You know that smile you can't control?  The one where you try not to smile but you can't help it?? That is the smile they both had ;)

I noticed they came and went alot during the week!  He was a busy man for sure while she was here. They took some long drives visiting her husbands grave then Shortie took her to his family's grave site all along I'm sure they had that music playing along with some good Southern Gospel which just set the scene.   He showed her all the houses he had lived in and she showed him hers they just had a great time going down memory lane!

Helen has a friend, I believe his name is John who took them to church on Sunday night in Corsicana and boy did it touch Shortie!  Why that was the best music he has heard in a long time! Pure Southern Gospel music for sure with lyrics he remembered well. The music was up to loud but the base sounded perfect he said.  He really liked the sound of that base it was as if he could feel it in his bones.  He said well I'll be going to church now cause Helen goes every time the doors are open! They will go here in Waxahachie in the morning and Corsicana at night.  I said well I'm glad someone convinced you to go!!!   I ask him all the time to go with me, of course I was giving him a hard time.   He grew up in church but hates to be around crowds even though he has a great personality!  Oh and I have a open invitation to go with them to Corsicana!   You know I am going to go at least once so I can feel that base in my bones and watch the joy on their faces.

She left that next Wednesday and I went over the day after and said soooooo????  He said well I think it's a go but I just don't know.  She is going to think about it.  A few days later it was for sure a go but Shortie said don't tell anyone just yet it might not happen.  I said Shortie if she said yes, it's going to happen.  He said I don't know I don't want to mess it up (jinx it).  So I have kept it a secret only telling a few until now since the plans seem set and firmed up!  He said she asked while she was here to see the ring and you know what, she liked it.  I said see I told you.  He said I am a nervous wreck just a nervous wreck! 

Shortie would say well she wants to bring her bedroom furniture and she wants to bring this and that then he would say but who knows maybe it won't happen.  I said Shortie if she is planning on bringing all her stuff you are going to get married!  He said we don't have a preacher to marry us!  I said I can get you a preacher don't worry about that!  So I asked my Dad and he said he would be glad to marry them!  I went over a few days later to tell him and he said everything has changed we are getting married in McAllen!  So they are using Helen's preacher in McAllen and she is now planning the wedding!

Shortie took me to his master bedroom closet (he sleeps in one of the guest rooms) to show me once again his two suits and said so which one should I wear?  I told him which one I liked the blue pin stripe and the long sleeve white dress shirt and then picked out a blue tie.   I told him since he was going to be getting married and was after all he was the Groom he would look good in white.  Now might I add I have seen ALL of Shorties closets over the years and it just makes a girl jealous!  He not only has 1 walk in closet he has 3 large ones!  Along with 3 random closets throughout his house with shelves and a nice hall closet for coats!  Most of his closets are practically empty, only being about 1/4 full! I just had to get that out  cause I am like if only I had those closets!

 I was at Shortie's sisters house yesterday and she told me Shortie came down with his suit on and said what do ya think?  Kim picked this out!  I said I wish I had seen it on him!  She said you weren't home  :(

I could go on and on but I'll shorten it a bit! 

Wedding will be April 28th!  Blue is the chosen colors for the wedding and it will be held at her church in McAllen, Texas! So he might be wearing the blue shirt after all.  He will arrive on Friday with his sister, Rita and Helen's friend who will drive them there, he is the man who took them to church.   They will get married on Saturday and he thinks they are driving back that day!  I said I bet you stay until at least Sunday.  I'm invited to go just not sure yet if I can but I'm thinking about it.  I said you do realize that is a 9 1/2 hour drive!  I can only imagine that drive with all of them in the car!

He is a nervous wreck and I keep saying Shortie you are going to be one busy guy!  He grins and says yeah, I guess so!  He told his sister he wanted to get some jeans!!!!!  Shortie wears khakis everyday and on a few occasions blue pants that are like his khakis.  Now all the sudden he needs a new wardrobe!  Rita said those blue pants were his work pants and those khakis are 30 yrs old.  He is small and short so it's hard from him to find pants. His pants are worn out for sure!  About 340 days out of the year he wears khaki pants and a blue button down shirt.  I will say he has a closet full of blue button down shirts in the closet in his room.  Now he wants to change it up!  Wow, change is a coming!

Have to throw this in.... the man that took them to church in Corsicana is I'm guessing in his 80's also.  He was married for years to his wife who he loved dearly she died of alzheimers several years ago.  He said I just can't think about marriage again I loved my wife too much it still hurts so bad. I can't imagine going through another loss like that.  He is the one who is taking Shortie and his sister to McAllen for the wedding then he will be driving a uhaul back with Helen's stuff while Helen drives his car back.  I said Shortie does Helen drive?  He said I don't know, lol! 

This is what he says to me alot lately.... makes me laugh really..... out loud!!  "So when you going to find you someone? Here is what I did........" lol  I guess I should take notes from this 88 yr old man after all he is getting married and I am not! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home